Tell me this makes me the funnest mom ever and not the worst mom of the year

Breakfast:  Donuts.  Okay, they had milk — that was good right?

Lunch:  Chicken nuggets, french fries and root beer at Chick-Fil-A.  Okay, FM#3 had fruit.  Oh, and they had a shake to end the meal, so there was some dairy in there too.

Dinner:  An assortment of hamburgers, cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets and chicken sandwiches at McDonalds.  All with fries.  All with chocolate milk except for the DP (Dear Princess) who doesn’t like chocolate milk and prefers regular.  Okay, what girl doesn’t like chocolate over regular?  I know — mine.  But do you think I should take her to the doctor?

In my defense, I needed a birth certificate for FM#2 to prove that he was indeed born when I said he was and it was due yesterday.  So yesterday, I went to the vital records file folder to pull it out so I could fax it in and voila — it wasn’t there.  All weekend long I looked for it — in other folders, in piles, in places where it might be.  I didn’t spend oodles of time but I would pray and then search when I had a moment and thought of new places.  FM#3’s and the DP’s weren’t in there either.  FM#1’s was.  Mine was.  Don’t know where my Beloved’s is but that’s not my concern. 🙂  Okay, it is my concern but he has a passport, so I’m really not that concerned because most places that need a birth certificate to prove something will take a passport.  So I’m not concerned about the dude.  Also, I can’t remember if you actually hand it over when you get a passport for the first time and if you do, I know where it is.  And it’s not in this house.  Had the social security cards.  Most of them.  Even the one of mine that I laminated which immediately invalidates it.  I mention that in case you were tempted to “preserve” yours.  Don’t.  Or at least don’t do it in that way.  But, I digress.  So this morning, after searching a few more places, I decided we would go to the main office to get a new birth certificate for FM#2.  I thought about calling my MIL and begging for mercy to have her watch the kids.  Then I found a satellite office that was somewhat near us that was open on Mondays and only Mondays.  Somewhat being defined by Houston standards.  I knew this satellite office wouldn’t take as long as the main office.  Just knew it.  Was so wrong.  Anywho, none of the kids were dressed, nor had they had breakfast and supposedly this office was only open from 9 am to 10:30 am, and it was 8:45 am.  (Watched the 2 hour “Extreme Makeover:  Home Edition” last night because I have apparently lost the ability to read the guide on TV and didn’t realize it was that long and so they went to bed late and got up late but that’s okay because we homeschool so I don’t have to be a crazy woman 5 days a week to get them on the bus or take them to school.  Okay, that’s not the reason but it’s a bonus.  A true bonus!)  Where was I?  Oh, yeah, the kids got dressed and ate breakfast in record time and cooperating fully — how did that happen?  And we were out the door a minute before 9 am.  I’m still not sure how that happened because they never do anything that fast.  Then, after a couple of wrong turns because they numbered the buildings out of order, we checked in at 9:30 am.  Still don’t know what’s up with the building numbers  but I guess if it’s a city building, you can just slap any number on the building that is somewhat in the vicinity of the numbers of buildings in the area and it’s good enough.  We got back in the car at 12:08 pm.  It was a long miserable wait for all of us except I will say the children behaved exceptionally well so it could have been way more miserable for me.  And I also got new ones for the DP and FM#3 in case we need theirs soon.  And all of the birth certificates are safely ensconced in the “vital records” file folder.

So that explains breakfast and lunch.  Dinner is explained that I’m a bit worn out and we had Scouts tonight and I had to take FM#1 to meet my husband so they could go.  It is a Court of Honor which I wasn’t really interested in going to with rest of the kids and I don’t think they wanted to go either.  To just sit.  And be quiet.  Again.

So nutritionally and financially, the day was a bust.  But am I the worst mom of the year?  Tell me.  I can take it.  I think.  Maybe not.  It’s been a long day.


One Response

  1. Worst mom? Hardly! This is the sort of things kids remember and relish. “Mom, do you remember the day that…”

    I still remember the day when I was five or six, I got out of bed “really, really late at night” because I couldn’t fall asleep. (Now, I bet it was about 9:00 p.m.!) My parents were still awake, and they said, “Let’s go get a pizza.” So, we got into the little blue Datsun and took the 2 minute drive to the pizza place and got a pizza and ate it at home.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: